Sunday, May 21, 2023

ulster-scot names

 


It's a back and forth...my father was Scottish, raised in Glasgow, and yet much of his family ancestry is rooted in Northern Ireland.

I try to gap-fill, and look for resources, even just simply lists of names for guidance.

The searches in Northern Ireland have certainly led to me being better read on the Ulster Plantations, a period of history I learned about on my own, never covered in school

Family history seems ephemeral in many ways...there were few in my own family who ever bothered writing anything down, My mum has told me memories of her childhood in Ireland where her mother and family would talk about the family, and the layers and generations of it...yet they never wrote it down. Though my interest and research in family history has spanned two decades, I was too late...many of those who held the family stories died - and the unwritten family history went with them.

Sigh

a list of Ulster-Scottish names - I sometimes use this as a quick reference...anything to chip away at those brick walls of hidden/lost history.


0 comments:

Post a Comment